This is a great side dish full of wonderful spices and flavours and works best as an addition to Asian or Middle Eastern main dishes.I found this recipe on Kay’s site Kayotic which I am a big fan of. You can see the original recipe here. I’ve changed it a tiny bit but it still tasted amazing. We had this meal with some lentil rice instead of fried Sultanas and it worked very well.
- 1 large Onion, peeled and sliced into thick rings
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp mild Curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fresh Ginger (Ground ginger works too)
- 1 tbsp Caster Sugar
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Water
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/Gas Mark 6.
- In a small bowl, mix cumin, cinnamon, curry powder and ginger together.
- dip each piece of onion into the spice mixture and place into a baking dish.
- Drizzle the onions with olive oil and pour the two tbsp of water into the dish. Cover the dish and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven, uncover and sprinkle the onions with sugar.
- Return the dish to the oven, this time uncovered and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with Moroccan chicken or Middle Eastern Rice.