As you probably know by now, I love love love butternut squash:-) Its tasty, versatile, readily available all year around and cheap too. My Mum makes the best butternut squash cookies ever and I will put up the recipe and photos for them some time soon. Meanwhile these tasty cupcakes adapted from VanillaGarlic recipe will do fine:-)
- 230 g Butternut squash
- 2 Eggs
- 100 g unsalted Butter, melted
- 100 g caster Sugar
- 100 g brown Sugar
- 100 self-raising Flour
- 30 g Walnuts, chopped roughly
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Ginger
- Peel and seed the squash and cut into chunks. Place the chunks into a bowl with boiling water and cook in the microwave on high power (800) for 10 minutes. Drain and pure in the food processor.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/ Gas mark 6.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour with baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and mix them with sugar and butter. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Add the squash pure and and walnuts to the mixture and mix well.
- Grease the cupcake tray with a bit of butter and line with cupcake liners.
- Pour the mixture into liners, filling more than half way.
- Bake the cupcakes in the oven for about 20 minutes until done.
- Top with chocolate chips and serve.