After a month of strict detox diet after Christmas, I was really in the mood for some fried food and when I came across this chicken recipe over at SmittenKitchen, I knew I had to make it. The side dish here is my version of Bubble and Squeak. there is something very appealing about the mixture of garlic, shredded cabbage and creamy mash potato especially if you have deprived from carbohydrate for some 28 days:-)
I wouldn’t normally fry chicken like this but this is one of those meals you can afford to eat once in a while and it was absolutely divine. I’ve chenged the recipe slightly to accommodate what I had in the cupboard but it was still very very good.
- 2 skinless Chicken breasts, lightly flattened
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp of flour
- 3 tbsp of Parmesan
- 4 tbsp of Breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Mix the breadcrumbs with cheese in a plate
- Place the flour onto a dish
- Beat the egg lightly with 1 tsp of cold water in a medium bowl
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Coat each piece of chicken first with flour, then with egg mixture and lastly with breadcrumb and parmesan mixture.
- Place the coated chicken breasts on a plate, cover and leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry chicken pieces over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on one side and 4-5 minutes on the other side.
- Serve with Bubble and Squeak or other side dishes.
Bubble and Squeak
- 3 large Potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 150 g white Cabbage, shredded
- 1 large Onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry onion and garlic for 5-6 minutes until soft. Set aside.
- Mash the boiled potatoes with a fork in a bowl.
- Place shredded cabbages in a small bowl with boiled water and microwave it on high power for 5 minutes, then drain and add to the potatoes.
- Mix the fried onion and garlic with the potatoes, mix well and season with salt and pepper.